Friday, 26 August 2011
Paleo Chocolate Peppermint Creams
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut butter
1/4 cup coconut crystals (or honey)
1-2 teaspoon peppermint oil
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate pieces, melted (I used 90% dark)
1. Gently melt coconut oil & coconut butter in microwave until just a few clumps remain. Add peppermint oil and coconut crystals and mix well
2. Line a flat surfaced pan (that has sides) with wax paper and pour in the mixture so that it is around 1/2cm thick (or however thick you'd like the patties). If you're using the coconut crystals make sure these are evenly distributed throughout the mixture or you will end up with clumps of crystals and then some patties with none
3. Place this in the fridge and wait till it solidifies. Using a freezer will speed this up
4. Carefully remove the hardened mixture, lay on a flat surface and using a sharp knife cut into small bars (makes about 16 depending on size). Place back in the fridge.
5. Melt the chocolate (either in a double boiler or in the microwave - in 30 second increments)
6. Take peppermint bars out of the fridge, and line a cookie sheet with wax paper. One at a time, dunk the peppermint bars into the melted chocolate and quickly take them out once they are coated with the chocolate (a fork works quite well). Be quick or the bars will begin to melt. Spread them in a single layer on the wax paper, trying to avoid excess chocolate pools around each bar
7. Place back in the fridge until the chocolate hardens
Enjoy as an occasional treat!