3/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
3 large eggs
1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
2 tbsp coconut crystals
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cold water (if needed)
50-75g dark chocolate (85% or higher cacao)
4 large egg yolks
2 cans of full fat coconut milk
1 (200g) packet of coconut butter (coconut cream concentrate)
2/3 cup coconut crystals
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
9 tbsp arrowroot powder
1/2 cup coconut flakes
dark chocolate shavings (85% or higher cacao)
1. Combine the coconut flour and desicated coconut in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, coconut crystals, sea salt, baking soda and vanilla extract.
3. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well until it forms a crumbly dough. Add water if necessary until the dough comes together
4. Spread the dough into a 9 inch pie dish and bake at 325F (160C) degrees for approximately 15 minutes until golden brown. Let it cool.
5. Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave.
6. Once the pie shell is completely cooled use a pastry brush to coat it with the melted chocolate.
7. Place the coated pie shell in the refrigerator to harden.
1. Prepare an ice bath and set aside.
2. In a bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks; set aside.
3. In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk, creamed coconut, coconut crystals, vanilla extract and celtic sea salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, about 10 minutes till it thickens a bit.
4. Whisk a quarter of the hot coconut milk mixture into the egg yolks and then whisk in remaining coconut milk mixture. Pour back into the saucepan, and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until custard is thicker and bubbles appear in the center, about 10 minutes.
5. Transfer to a medium bowl and set in the ice bath. Whisk it occasionally while it cools off for a total of 30-40 minutes.
6. Add the arrowroot powder and whisk until combined and somewhat thicker (it will thicken more in the refrigerator).
7. Place the coconut flakes on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until lightly golden brown. Set aside.
8. Fill cooled crust with the custard and spread evenly.
9. Refrigerate paleo coconut cream pie at least three hours. Garnish with toasted coconut flakes and some grated dark chocolate just before serving.